So it looks like it’s definitely the end for Malta’s vintage buses….
We’ve travelled to a fair few places on these buses and only ever use a taxi to get from the airport to our accommodation, although one year we did take the bus from the airport to Valletta and then another onto Bugibba bus station.
It took a bit too long for our liking and not so much fun with a suitcase, so we went back to the taxi option for our other visits.
The old Bedford buses are to be replaced by Arriva – we have them in Cyprus too. We do still have an old village bus that parks at the top of our street and often see it dressed up for weddings. (Click through for more info on Cyprus buses).
Did you know, the average Maltese bus is apparently around 35 years old?
This and more interesting information about the old and the new Malta buses can be found on this link:
BBC News – Malta’s colourful vintage buses bow out.
MALTA BUS ROUTE UPDATE 22nd July 2011
Malta bus route changes planned this year after complaints over 18 of the 71 routes in Malta. The changes will take place from this month and the Winter timetable will be brought forward to 2nd October instead of 31st October.
The first of the changes will be implemented on 31st July and thereafter on 4th September, 2nd October and 30th October.
Routes that will be shortened:
1. Ċirkewwa – Valletta: Route 41 will no longer pass through Bugibba.
2. Birżebbuġa and Marsaxlokk – Valletta: Routes 81 u 82 will no longer pass by Marsa Park and Ride.
3. Qrendi and Żurrieq – Valletta: Routes 71 u 72 will no longer stop off at the Airport
New Direct Services
4. Services between localities and villages in the South of Malta and Mater Dei. There is agreement in principle, but the details are still being discussed and announced at a later date, the ministry said.
5. Cirkewwa –Valletta: Services related to the arrivals and departures of the Gozo ferry based on a direct route to Vallettawith only a few stops.
6. Rabat- Lija – Mosta –St Julians and Mater Dei: Route 202 will start stopping by Mater Dei.
7. The Three Cities – Marsaskala: Reorganisation of routes 121 u 124 into one route connected in a direct network between the localities.
8. Sliema – Gżira Polyclinic: Changes in route 116 to allow a direct connection between the two destinations.
New routes towards Valletta
9. Qormi (San Ġorġ) – Valletta: A new route (63) between Qormi (San Ġorġ), Ħamrun, and Valletta.
10. Għaxaq, Gudja – Valletta: A new route (X5) connecting these villages directly with Valletta.
11. Attard – Valletta: A new route (54) from Misraħ Kola to the centre of Attard, ending up in Valletta.
12. Fleur de Lys – Valletta: A new direct connection to Vallettawill be introduced starting from Birkirkara station, and will pass through Fleur de Lys and Ħamrun.
13. Santa Luċija – Valletta: A new route (83) will run between Santa Luċija and Valletta.
14. Pembroke, Swieqi and Ta’ Ġiorni: New routes between Valetta to these respective localities.
New direct services to Valletta
15. Golden Bay/Imġarr – Valletta: Aside from existing services, a direct route will run between Imgarr and Golden Bay running to Valletta which will pass through Mosta.
16. Għargħur – Valletta: A more direct service between Gharghu and Valeltta which will pass through the Birkirkara bypass and Mater Dei.
17. Naxxar – Valletta: Aside from existing services, a direct route will run between Naxxar and Valletta which will pass through Birkirkara.
18. Marsaskala: Route 91 will be extended to St Thomas Bay and the area around St Thomas’ Tower.
Shifts in routes to better cover urban areas:
19. Gżira (Rue D’Argens) and Sliema (Savoy): Routes 22 u 32 will begin passing trough Roue D’Argens Gzira up to the Savoyhill in both directions which will allow a direct connection to and from Valletta.
20. Birżebbuġa (Tal-Papa): Route 82 will be adjusted to cover tal-Papa.
21. Xgħajra: Route 3 will be better adjusted to cover more of the locality.
22. Psaila Street, Birkirkara: Route 125 will be adjusted and will run in both directions to allow a better connection to Psaila Street.
23. Żejtun: Service will be extended to allow better access to the Eastern side of the locality.
24. Kappara: Route 116 will be adjusted to better service the area.
25. San Ġwann t’Għuxa: Route 2 will pass through the zone in both directions to better service the locality.
26. Xewkija: Route 302 will be adjusted to cater for more of the locality.
27. Għajnsielem: Route 303 will be adjusted to cater for more of the locality.
My cool QR Code
My Blog Pages
- A Love of – Animals (34)
- A Love of – Music (23)
- A Love of – Travel (55)
- Beach Life (25)
- Captured on Google Earth (2)
- Cruising – photos and articles (19)
- Cyprus Explosion 11 July 2011 (17)
- Cyprus Life (213)
- Cyprus Weather (25)
- Diary Dates (38)
- Eating Out (37)
- Egypt – a place in our hearts. (22)
- Entertainment & Lifestyle (79)
- Four Legs & Fur (44)
- Funeral Music (2)
- I collect…… Do you? (5)
- I Want To Watch…. (29)
- It's All About #Stamps (23)
- Kindle Korner (48)
- Letters on Cyprus (11)
- Living with GERD (6)
- My Goodreads (22)
- My TV Favourites (3)
- News & Views (321)
- No more SPAM (4)
- Pictures – our holidays from Cyprus (14)
- Pictures – our life before Cyprus (10)
- Reading Matters (37)
- Ships In Port (18)
- Trumpet Royale Oyster Mushrooms (1)
- Walks with my Camera (7)
- Websites I Love (51)
Most Recent Posts
- Chic, Hot and Here!
- Still a great looking guy!
- The demise of Orphanides
- Traveling Abroad? EatWith Wants To Help You Break Bread With The Locals In Their Own Homes
- The Hotel of Kings, Prodromos, Cyprus. What happened?
- It’s 91 days since…..
- A place to sit and ponder.
- Almyra, Akamas and Sea Caves – Paphos
- My very first fruit smoothie
- Greek Independence Day in Limassol Old Town – 25 March 2013
Cyprus with Babies!
Buy Cyprus Stamps
- 23/05 only: "The Master Plan" by Carol Costa is £0.99 (70% off yesterday's price, terms apply) amzn.to/10IceLq 10 hours ago
- 23/05 only: "The Master Plan " by Carol Costa is £0.99 (70% off yesterday's price, terms apply) amzn.to/14IAPmJ 10 hours ago
Creative Commons Licence
Is applicable to all my Flickr account photographs which are posted under the Username: CyprusPictures
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.